Sunday, December 6, 2009

Brazil vs Spain

So the game is on! The world cup draw is history and it’s now full countdown mode.

When I was a kid I used to check out the group draw and then guess who will win and lose. Who would reach the next phase and then onwards etc etc... to the final.

So let’s try again. Sticking out my neck and predict. There are always some surprises (positive ones and negative ones) and teams in great shape now might disappoint next June, while other teams playing badly now might surprise the whole planet next year.

Anyway. Here we go.

Group A has Bafana Bafana, France, Uruguay and Mexico. Despite my hope for SA, my gut feeling is that France and Mexico will go through.

In group B I think Argentina will take the lead spot, followed by Nigeria. In group C my bets go to England and Algeria. Next is group D where I think Germany and Ghana will go through. In group E I see the Netherlands and Cameroon succeed. Group F will have Italy and Slovakia pushing through. In group G I think Brazil and Ivory Coast are the winners. And in group H I see Spain and Switzerland proceeding to the next phase.

In what is called the Round of 16 you will then have France vs Nigeria, with France pushing through. England against Ghana should be a great game but England will take it. Germany vs Algeria could be full of surprises but the German machinery is a hard one to beat. Argentina vs Mexico is a regional affair with Argentina probably pushing through. Holland against Slovakia will see the Dutchmen winning. Brazil vs Switzerland will be the end for the Alp-boys. Italy vs Cameroon might be the end of the cup holders Italy if the West Africans believe in their strength. Let’s go for Cameroon. And Spain vs Ivory Coast will be a tough one, but Torres will take Spain through.

That takes us to the Quarter Finals. The heat is on now! The 4 games I predict are:
Holland – Brazil, with Brazil winning it just. Tough game. France – England. With the Irish supporting the English. England should win this one. Argentina – Germany is a classic from note. Germany will probably deliver.Spain - Cameroon would be a fast game, but my gut feeling is that Spain will be on a high.

Football madness growing now as the Semi Finals are on. Brazil vs England and Germany vs Spain. Which then I guess and hope will lead to a Brazil against Spain final. And then all bets are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment