Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I am the captain of my soul

Invictus (Latin for Unconquered)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

An amazing poem by William Ernest Henley (1849-1903). If I am not mistaken Nelson Mandela mentioned that poem in Long Walk To Freedom. And this poem, or more its title and I guess the ‘spirit’ of it, is what Clint Eastwood chose for his latest Hollywood venture. A movie about that historic reconciliation gesture by Nelson Mandela back in 1995 when South Africa won the rugby world title against New Zealand in Johannesburg.

Eastwood’s movie is set for release in December this year and has Matt Damon as Bokke captain Francois Pienaar and Morgan Freeman as Madiba.

It was 24 June 1995. Ellis Park was packed with 63000 screaming fans. The new, democratic, free South Africa was 1 year old. The unbeatable All Blacks came to town to clinch the world title. But the Springboks stopped them in their tracks. Ellis Park went mad. South Africa won 15-12.

Captain Pienaar walked to the stage in the middle of the stadium to collect the trophy. And there he stood. Nelson Mandela. And he was wearing a Springbok shirt with number 6 on. Pienaar’s number. And the world’s icon gave Pienaar the William Webb Ellis trophy. Mandela thanked Pienaar for his efforts and beating the All Blacks. Pienaar thanked Mandela for what he had done for South Africa. And Pienaar lifted the trophy. And Madiba victoriously put his 2 fists in the air. And Ellis Park went over the top. Mass hysteria. History made. A truly unique moment. Very sad I wasn’t there myself.

Eastwood’s movie has Oscar glory written all over it. Watch my words. Predicting: Best movie. Best director. Best leading actor and best supporting actor. And William Ernest Henley will make a comeback too.

Here he is....

No comments:

Post a Comment