Saturday, October 10, 2009

Customer service

They often say that service isn’t what it should be in South Africa. A generalisation for sure. And thus when good service sticks out it’s worth mentioning.

Even if they are simple acts of service. Little drops. But drops that show it is possible. Drop by drop. I encountered this week 2 acts of straight forward, positive customer service. 2 Acts beyond the day to day call of duty. Simple acts, but very welcomed.

Both were, by accident, in shops located in the Johannesburg Cresta shopping mall. First one was in the hardware store Mica. One of the attendants said that the specific lock I was looking for would be arriving that afternoon. He said he would call me and gave me a card from the store and wrote down his name. He was called Respect.

I have many times encountered that black Africans across this continent have interesting first names. With interesting I mean that I wonder what specific idea and hope would have crossed the parents’ minds at the moment of birth to give their little baby that specific name.

In Zimbabwe I once met a lawyer whose first name was Justice. Or a lady in South Africa named Precious. Or a driver called Prince, or another driver called Nearest. Or the former (still???) Deputy Minister of Information in Zimbabwe who goes through life with as first name Bright. I find that all very interesting.

The other act of welcome service came from a shop assistant in the music store Look & Listen. I went in earlier in the week to find the new cd by Pearl Jam. The lady looked in the backroom and on the computer and told me it was expected soon but that she would give a ring as and when it happened. And she did. As simple as that. So now I’m the happy owner of the new Pearl Jam album.

No comments:

Post a Comment