Monday, October 19, 2009

Fletcher

And there, a few days ago, the vet just said that he might run out of tears. Just like that!

He is Tom Fletcher, my German shepherd. The vet spotted some marks on both his eyes and made the educated conclusion that it’s an eye disease that is OK for now,.... but might in the future result in a tearless Tom. Dried out. Sounds indeed sad. But medical science has special eye drops for that, so nothing too much to worry about.

As I was driving away from the vet with proud Mr Fletcher sitting on the backseat eyeballing passengers of other cars, an old Rolling Stones song came to mind. “Out of tears” from their 1994 “Voodoo Lounge” album. From the Stones’ perspective it was certainly all to do about another relationship gone bust, but it just fitted the moment for me as I was checking out Tom in my rear view mirror and thinking what he might be thinking if he would understand what the future might be. There and then.

“I can’t feel a thing. I can’t shout. I can’t scream.
Breathe it out. Breathe it in. All this love from within.
...
I’m out of tears. Out of tears”

(lyrics courtesy of him, yes him,... Mike Jagger)

No comments:

Post a Comment