Friday, October 30, 2009

Foolin' around with WW2 history

I had to go and see it. As simple as that. I’ve been a fan of film director Quentin Tarantino since his cult movie Reservoir Dogs.

So I just had to go and see his new release Inglourious Basterds (yes, spelled like that!).

I had seen negative and positive reviews. I had seen a promotional trailer. I like most Tarantino movies for their kick-in-the-face approach, creative structure and dialogues. I thought the simplicity of Reservoir Dogs and its hardcore dialogues was just fantastic. Pulp Fiction’s structure and editing was the real deal. Jackie Brown was a straight forward thriller. The Kill Bill duo was the biggest cocktail of styles and structural variety ever put together by Tarantino. So I’m kind of hooked. Not madly, just like the way he approaches the art of movie making.

I guess that his films have a love-it-or-hate-it feel to it and I guess that’s why the reviews for Inglourious Basterds were so out of sync with each other.

Well, I like Inglourious Basterds. Maybe somewhat slower than his previews movies. And I missed a little bit his usual use of music. But his new effort still has that in-your-face punch. And fooling around with world war 2 history is something Tarantino is clearly not afraid of. Based on some reviews I had expected much more blood and gore (not that I crave that) and boring moments. Many reviews also claimed that the duration (around 2h1/2) was way too long. Well the blood was maybe once or twice hardcore but nothing over the top. Certainly not when you are watching a Tarantino creation. And it certainly did not feel too long or with boring gaps. Just nicely cruising along.

So if you are a fan, don’t miss it. If you don’t like his previous work, don’t bother. It’s as simple as that. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment